Let’s try something new and hopefully fun. I started #SoSocial in the new Facebook Rooms app. And I’m inviting you.
Here’s how it works:
1. Download the Rooms app (currently iOS only). It’s not connected to Facebook at all. You don’t even have to share your real name, although you are certainly welcome to do so.
2. Take a screenshot of the code thing you see here. (On your iPhone, press the home button and power button quickly. It will save to your camera roll.
3. Open the app, and if you don’t see the room on the main screen, hit “use invite” in the lower right corner. Then you can just click to get it from the camera roll. But in my experience, it has just appeared in the app after the screenshot.
4. Now that you’re in, let’s talk about social media. To keep true to the app, you aren’t required to share your real name. All posts are moderated. You can post whatever you want as long as it’s related somehow to social media, isn’t spam and isn’t promotional in nature. Remember: The more conversational, the better. It is, after all, a chat room.
5. **And this is key to building the room** – share the screenshot of the code and paste it among your networks. When people follow the steps you just did, they can become a part of the Room membership. Share on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, tumblr, Flickr, Compuserve – wherever. If you share it on these platforms, add the hashtag #rooms for maximum exposure.
6. Let me know what you think. Trying it for the first time and we’ll see what happens. If all goes well, we’ll attract Facebook’s attention and all be famous.